Pages

Home About Me Contact mormon.org Image Map

10/17/2011

Vegetarian?

Sometimes I wonder what I am. Like foodwise. I have no allergies--I can't be described as gluten-free, corn-free (although I am working on a corn-free cornbread replacement...), or lactose-intolerant. I don't see the point in veganism. I don't have enough self control to "eat clean". Or raw. I hardly ever eat meat, but I eat enough that I can't be considered a vegetarian. Plus, my whole family would shun me for life if I ever became a full-fledged veggie. So what is my "diet"?

I guess you could call it the "Sammi diet". I avoid processed foods, I only eat meat once or twice a week, and I eat cookies. I've found what works for me, even if it can't be labeled as a specific trend or diet.

So let me introduce you to the most delicious meatless chili on this planet. I got this recipe out of Martha Stewart's Everday Food Magazine. The girl that lived in the apartment before us never changed her address for her mail (hence why I watched her Netflix copy of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief yesterday) and the best thing that comes is this magazine. So when I came across this recipe, I just had to try it. With "Sammi" modifications, of course.
Sam's Vegetarian Bean Chili
adapted from Everyday Food
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ large yellow onion, chopped
  • ½ jalepeno pepper, chopped*
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 4 ½ teaspoons chili powder
  • 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
Directions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium-high in a large, thick bottomed pot and add in onion, garlic, and jalapeno pepper (all diced). Season heavily with salt. Saute until the onions are translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in chili powder and diced green chiles and saute for another 2-3 minutes.

2. Add in beans, tomatoes (with juice), and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until the chili is thickened. Season to taste with salt.

I topped mine with a dollop of plain fat-free yogurt and cheddar cheese. This would also taste great with crushed tortilla chips or maybe pepper jack cheese. mmm.

*Feel free to use the entire jalapeno if y'all love spice...my roommates don't "do spicy" so 1/2 pepper was perfect. There was definitely a kick, but it didn't overwhelm the dish.*
Servings: 6
Calories: 342
Protein: 17g

No comments:

Post a Comment