Pages

Home About Me Contact mormon.org Image Map

10/21/2011

Love Your Body

Every year the Women's Resources program at my school puts on a challenge called "Recapturing Beauty". It is a campaign designed to help women to reshape their attitudes and opinions of their own beauty, physically and spiritually. It is designed to help women learn to "develop a greater love and appreciation for who they are as divine beings". I didn't hear about the campaign this year until the last day, so I was unable to participate in the 10 Day Challenge (or receive a free t-shirt, dang it!).

October 19th was also NOW's National Love your Body day, so I guess I've been a little bombarded this week with reasons to love myself and my new body. I'm not gonna lie, its been difficult to transition my mindset from a "fat" girl to a healthy girl. I still look in the mirror and see "fat Sammi" some days. But I have also learned to appreciate myself in a new light. And I want to share that with you.

**All photos courtesy of Tilt Photography**

 I love my smile. Its not perfect, its not even "real", but I love it nonetheless.
 I like my eyes. I like the way they change colors depending on what I'm wearing. Some days, they are a rich green. Others, a murky green blue. And once in a while, they almost look grey.

 My legs are strong. I have thunder thighs and I'm not afraid to admit it. I thought that once I lost weight, I would automatically have small legs. But I don't, and I like them this way. I have muscle definition. I can run 10 miles. Who doesn't want to be able to say that?

 I like my small waist and big hips. I'm curvy and I always will be (once again, another trait that I though would go away but didn't). But I rock my curves. And apparently boys find curvy girls more attractive...and that's always a good thing. ;)
I like my feet. This sounds weird, but hear me out. I used to have really nice looking feet. Now my feet are calloused and "veiny". My mom's feet have always been like this, and now I know why: we are runners. I have runner's feet (although hopefully I will never get runner's toe...). They aren't pretty, but they define who I am and what I do. I couldn't do any of the activities I love if I didn't have strong, calloused feet.
I like my laugh. I sound weird, my nose crinkles, and sometimes I squeak. But it means that I'm happy.

I still have fat days. I sometimes doubt myself. But I'm getting better. We are all amazing people, regardless of our physically condition, because we are made in the image of a God who loves us tremendously. We have been blessed with strong bodies and minds, and hopefully y'all can realize how amazing this is.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment