Pages

Home About Me Contact mormon.org Image Map

9/14/2011

Eggplant and Mushroom "Risotto"

So I was food blog creepin' the other day, and I was struck with a sudden idea: I wanted to make risotto.

I know what you're thinking. No, I have never made risotto before in my life. And when I read the instructions and realized how long it takes to make a proper risotto, I will never make one.

This rice dish may have Italian grandmothers rolling over in their graves because of my poor technique, but it tastes pretty darn good!

Mushroom and Eggplant "Risotto"
Ingredients:
  • ¾ cups short-grain brown rice
  • ½ onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • ½ cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
  • salt, pepper, to taste
  • 1 small eggplant, chopped
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions:
Heat a nonstick pot on medium. Melt butter, then throw in onion. Let onions saute in the butter until they are caramelized (and yummy!). Add in sliced mushrooms and saute until softened. Salt and pepper to taste (I like my food more peppery).

Toss rice into pot and toast for a couple minutes. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 45-55 minutes.

While the rice is cooking on the stove, peel and roughly chop eggplant. Drizzle with olive oil and spread out on a baking sheet. Roast your eggplant at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes. The eggplant is going to get slightly crispy on the outside while still maintaining the soft "eggplanty" center (for lack of a better word).

The rice should be al dente. If you feel like the rice mixture is getting too dry during cooking, add in more chicken broth. To make this as "risotto"-like as possible, its better for your mixture to be too wet than too dry.

Toss in roasted eggplant and chopped fresh parsley. This dish is really hearty on its own and totally will fill you up!

Serves 4
Calories: 235
Protein: 6g

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, sounds delicious! I want to try this... Maybe use zucchini or squash instead of the eggplant? I decided to make the switch to whole wheat and brown rice, so I already have some brown rice on hand from a trip to the grocery store the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! And I love zucchini...pretty sure its my fave veggie. So it would probably taste great in this! I made the switch during the summer and I love it. I actually think foods made with whole wheat and brown rice taste waaayy better than stuff without it! :P

    ReplyDelete