Pages

Home About Me Contact mormon.org Image Map

8/23/2011

My Quinoa Love Affair

One of my best friends introduced me to quinoa (a.k.a. a gift from the Gods) this summer and I am completely addicted! I eat this fantastic whole grain at least once a week, if not more. It drive The Mom nuts because the uncooked granules will stick to everything...and I have always been quite amazing at creating messes in the kitchen. The thing I LOVE about quinoa is that 1) its super easy and fast to make and 2) it can be used in virtually any recipe that needs a grain bases...including sandwiches.

So without further ado, I want to introduce you to the latest quinoa dish I made: BLT Quinoa Salad.

Heck Yes.
BLT Quinoa Salad
Adapted from Family Fresh Cooking

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup dry Quinoa, prepare according to package directions
  • 2 slices Bacon, diced
  • 1/4 cup Cherry Tomatoes, sliced in half*
  • 2 tablespoons diced Green Onion
  • 2 tablespoons Avocado, diced
  • 1/2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
  • 1/2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
  • Garlic Salt to taste
  • Cracked Black Pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup Romaine Lettuce, shredded
  • Feta Cheese
Directions:
Prepare quinoa in chicken broth and season with garlic salt and pepper. Let it cool. Mix lemon juice, vinegar and oil with quinoa in a medium bowl. Add the bacon, tomatoes, and green onion and combine well. Season to taste with garlic salt and pepper. Add more lemon juice and vinegar if desired. Gently mix in the avocado, shredded Romaine, and sprinkle in feta cheese as desired just before serving.

*I used diced garden tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes because that was all I had. But it worked just as well. :)

Servings: 1
Calories: 374
Protein: 15.8g

No comments:

Post a Comment