Pages

Home About Me Contact mormon.org Image Map

12/07/2011

Food for Thought (and your belly!)

Hey y'all.  So life has been a little crazy since the two trips--I'm trying to catch up in all of my classes and make sure I'm prepared for finals. Not to mention keeping up with ward activities and other parties. Oh and trying to get in enough sleep. And working out! Whew! The other day I was talking to a professor, who mentioned that the unofficial university policy is that for every one hour you spend in class, you should be spending two hours outside of class studying/doing homework. I know this is what is supposed to happen, but I always find that rule excessive. So, being the math head I am, decided to crunch some numbers and figure out just what it would take to get everything done.

For five days out of the week I factored in...

40 hours of sleep (8 per day)
15 classroom hours
30 homework hours
20 hours of work
5 hours of exercising
3 hours of travel time (getting to and from campus, etc)

total: 113 hours.

total hours in 5 days: 120 hours.

yeah, that leaves us with 1.4 hours of free time a day...and when I say free time, I mean time to cook, clean, get ready from school, take care of ward calling responsibilities, etc. And then try and squeeze and episode of Alias in there. It's crazy! But hey, I only have 7 days left and then I get a glorious break. :)

Speaking of which, the other day in fast and testimony meeting, someone was talking about how grateful she was for friends who really probe past the "how are you doing?" "I'm good." answers. I didn't really pay much attention to her after that (I know, I'm pathetic) but lately I've been thinking about "I'm good". I say it every time someone asks me how I'm doing. But really, I'm always "doing good". No matter what went wrong or how difficult my day is, when I reflect back on it I always seem to remember the positive things that happened. Yesterday I spent five hours studying linear algebra. It was exhausting. But everything is starting to click. I have to work extra hours this week, but at least I'm making more money than usual. I'm working my tail off right now, but then I get a break. My favorite break of the year because all I get to do is be with my family and celebrate my Savior's birth. Yes, life is good.

I am so blessed. 

Now who wants a recipe?

Rustic Vegetable Soup
I made this soup the other day, and totally fell in love. Its easily one of my favorite recipes of the semester!
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ yellow onion, diced
  • 2 large carrots, chopped
  • 2 potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup kale, coarsely chopped
  • 1 cup green beans
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
  • salt
  • pepper
Directions:
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil. While it is heating, chop your vegetables (don't forget to rinse the kale!). Toss in onion and saute until softened. Salt and pepper heavily.

2. While onion is cooking, microwave potatoes for 1-2 minutes to soften. Toss potatoes and carrots into the pot. Saute for another 3-5 minutes.

3. Pour in chicken broth. I make my own chicken broth using bouillon cubes, and to make it more flavorful I use a 2:3 ratio cups of water to bouillon cubes. Bring soup to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, then add in green beans (I like to use fresh).

4. Simmer for another 5 minutes, then add in kale, one can of diced tomatoes, and red pepper flakes. Simmer until potatoes are soft and kale is cooked down. Season to taste.
Servings: 6
Calories: 162
Protein: 7.5g

P.S.--I'm sorry this post is so long!


No comments:

Post a Comment