Pages

Home About Me Contact mormon.org Image Map

9/27/2011

Pumpkin Mania

As an avid blog stalker, there are many trends I take note of. Cake pops, bacon-flavored desserts, etc. have graced almost every food blog on the world wide web. Enter a health foodie's top trend: pumpkin. Pumpkin granola, pumpkin parfaits, pumpkin muffins, cake, cookies, and pie. Pumpkin chili and pumpkin hummus. Even pumpkin mac 'n' cheese!

I was always a little leery of the pumpkin trend. Really?? Its orange and mushy...and screams fall. And I'm just not ready for fall. But the can of pumpkin puree in my cupboard has been calling my name. I couldn't resist it any longer. So what did I do? Combined it with my favorite food for a fantastic flavor explosion (haha, like that alliteration? ;).

When I first started eating healthier, I lived out of 75 Ways to Love Your Oatmeal. It seriously saved my butt. Now, I make oatmeal about 4-5 times a week, and I love it! I don't typically use Jenny's book anymore because I have the recipes I love memorized.

Now, I have a confession to make. Some people bake their oatmeal. Others do it on the stovetop. I used to bake mine, but had to microwave it while on vacation this summer. Now I'm just super lazy and microwave my oatmeal every time. And guess what? I like it better that way. When making oatmeal, its really up to you to decide how you want to cook it. The measurements will work whether you bake it, stovetop it, or nuke it.


5-minute Pumpkin Oatmeal
Ingredients:
  • cup oats
  • cup 1% milk
  • ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
  • 1-1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar splenda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • pinch salt
  • 2 tablespoons chopped pecans/walnuts (optional)
Directions:
Mix all together in a large bowl (if you don't use a big bowl, it will spill over in the microwave and your mom will get mad at you...) and microwave for 3-4 minutes.

Servings: 1
Calories w/out nuts: 277
Calories w/ nuts: 371
Protein: 10.1g

P.S.--I know my photos have definitely been sub-par. I blame the awful lighting in my apartment. But I'm definitely gonna make it up to y'all and try to find somewhere to take pictures where the lighting doesn't make the food look so nasty. But I promise it all tastes good!

No comments:

Post a Comment